ASSIGNMNET 2 & RESUBMISSION

 ASSIGNMENT 2

Week 4 - Week 5

Right after assignment 1 in week 3, we continue for assignment 2 which is "Vector Landscape Illustration". 

In week 3, we learn how to trace the landscape view. Hence for this assignment 2, we required to do a landscape illustration by using the right composition. 

Students are to create a landscape illustration out of vector shapes with the application of background, midground, and foreground. 

➔ You can either choose to create your own landscape based on any theme - nature, space, fantasy, your imagination is the limit! 

➔ Or you can choose to use the given sample sketches from Mulan (1998) for this exercise 

➔ Exercise rules of third in the arrangement of the visual elements of your illustration 

➔ Decide on your colour scheme with a mood board and colour palette selection 

➔ Write a short narrative to accompany your illustration i.e: lore excerpts, haiku, poem, clip of song lyric.


Exercise

As a progression of work and practice, I drew my landscape with implementing the right composition which is background, midground, and foreground.


 
After finishing this exercise, I could use this as my assignment 2. However, this kind of vector illustration is almost the same as the landscape illustration that I practice in week 3. 
to have more experience and challenging works, I was thinking to do the final assignment 2 in different styles. 



Assignment 2

Personally, I really fall in love with Chinese art and minimalism (wabi-sabi). I like to do monotone Chinese painting. Therefore, I want to apply some style of Chinese painting into a vector illustration. 

To have a satisfying design outcome, I always start with sketches. I think with a sketch, we will able to estimate our final outcome and we can do a lot of design development. Hence I started with a sketch by using Chinese ink and brush.


Sketch 




Digital Illustration





To try a different style, I was using a pen tablet to help me do the digital drawing using pencil and watercolor illustration style.
After this outcome, I feel to add some detail or effect to reach a satisfactory level. 



Final Outcome

Daytime style




Nighttime style



The Poem for the landscape illustration



The poem "Drink Alone Under The Moon" is the perfect poem that perfectly suitable for my situation.

Isolated in Malaysia for one year alone in an empty apartment makes me feel extremely lonely without friends to talk, laugh, and play. 

A condition where people only can talk to themself and thinking for their family overseas. 

The situation makes lonely as a friend and not as an enemy




Assignment 2 - Resubmission


After the submission for project 3 or the final project, I decided to resubmit assignment 2.

Last time, I was using a different style, which not really represent the landscape vector. Therefore, this time, I was looking for some reference pictures that I want to do.

The problematic at here is my skill in Adobe Illustrator. In the past time, I struggled a lot in the technical way to use that software. Fortunately, after project 3, I gained more confidence in using AI and Photoshop.

With the nice line in AI, I decided to draw the outline of my landscape in AI, while the coloring and editing, I will do in photoshop.

In photoshop, I feel more comfortable and have some experience in using many kinds of brushes. It makes it easier to do editing and coloring.


Reference Pictures

Reference 1




Reference 2



Progress

As I have mentioned, the first step that I did is sketching the outline in AI, and continue the coloring and edit in photoshop. After that, I choose one poem that feels suitable for the landscape that I made.


Outline Sketch





Landscape Outcome

Final Landscape

Final Landscape - Resubmission




Final Landscape - Resubmission With Poem


Reflection

In this project, I have struggled a lot because of the technical issues. After I received the first marks for this assignment 2, frankly, I become disappointed, because from all the projects, this project I like the most. Looking back on my background in interior and as an urban sketcher, landscape drawing is one of my favorite. Therefore I always try a new style of landscape drawing, especially with watercolor.

But in this project, I have to follow the requirement which is to make a vector graphic.

From all the project, I chose this assignment 2, for resubmission in 1 day, because I feel I can finish after and better compared to the other project like assignment 1 and project 2.

Aside from that, I am so thankful for my lecturer Ms. Anis, for giving me the chance to resubmit my assignment 2.



Komentar

Postingan Populer